Friday, March 24, 2017

The Big Pitch

Hey guys! Today our class met in The Wave and we were assigned to random groups to discuss our blogs as well as our ideas for our film opening or magazine. I was assigned in a group with Isabella H, Jonathan, Sam, Miguel, Ines, and Kayleigh. Let me tell you how it went down.

First off I just wanted to say how nervous I was when I was trying to explain my group's ideas because I wasn't sure how these people were going to react to it. I started off my presentation by summing up each and one of my blogs so I can show them the development process of research and ideas. I told them my original idea I had in mind about the horror film opening but the problem with that idea was that it is too similar with the movie SCREAM. I proceeded to tell them about the idea our group had in mind about the Sci-Fi thriller: the main subject is at a dayger (party during the day) goes into a pool and when he comes out, he seems to be in a different kind of reality where he is isolated. I also brought up how one of my group mates said that they have a drone that they could use for. a shot of the pool and that my other group mate wanted to have the main character have blue contacts as a special effect. In addition to a couple of these ideas, I also included the idea of hypnosis and waking up the subject's subconscious mind by the snap of a finger and that is how the opening would end. After I shared with them our idea, I showed them the rest of  my blog which consisted of research about thriller movie conventions.

The group I was assigned with gave me feedback and these were their concerns: the opening should not end with the snap of a finger because that would show some kind of resolution and it would not be really intriguing for the audience since there's nothing else to be engaged about, how would we use a drone to capture a shot of the pool, and how would we make this a Sci-Fi based movie if Sci-Fi movies use a lot of special effects and we were lower than a low budget film, and that if we open the opening with a scene of the subject at a dayger it would not make sense for a thriller film since parties and suspenseful events do not go together. Along with these concerns, they did provide me with some ideas that may help engage the audience which to keep the idea of the pool as some type of trigger or portal and when the subject is in the new reality, he is by himself and then he sees or hears this creature or something but the audience doesn't know what it is and it could end with the main subject screaming so that the audience will be left thinking.

Having this meeting helped me a lot because they constructively criticized my group's film opening idea so that my group can make our product better. I'm ready to discuss to my group what was said in or discussion so that we can start revising our idea, so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment