Saturday, March 11, 2017

What to do, what to do.

Hey guys!

We have not decided on a genre yet, so what better time to research! I have been researching genre types for film productions and this is what I found: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Crime, Coming-of-Age Drama, Detective Story/ Courtroom Drama, Epic/Myth, Fantasy, Gangster, Horror, Romance, and Sci-Fi.

Apart from researching the different genres, I also took a look back at the notes we took in class about the types of film openings. Looking back at the notes, we SHOULD engage our audience, establish the tone, create mechanism for storytelling, make the viewer want to continue watching, and embrace genre conventions (film stereotypes).  We will utilize this information to help with our planning.








After looking over these notes, I thought of idea for our film opening.  Here's my idea: a teenage girl is alone in her house at night is cutting up food while also watching the news in the background. She is not paying attention to what is being said on the news, but he audience can hear the news story talking about how another teenage girl has been murdered in the area. The girl then receives a phone call from her boyfriend to which she tells him to come over since her parents aren't home and that she will leave her door open. While she is waiting for her boyfriend to arrive, she is closing her blinds and getting ready for bed. Outside, there is a point of view/shot edit of someone looking in on her closing her blinds. When the person who was spying on the girl sees the boyfriend approach the door, he sneaks up on him and kills him by means of strangulation. The killer enters the unlocked house and finds the knife the girl left on the counter when she was cutting food. He makes his way upstairs to the girls bedroom, since there will be low key lighting, the teenage girl can't see his face but assumes that the figure is her boyfriend. She then realizes that the figure is not her boyfriend when he is not responding to her comments and has a knife in his hand. She turns on the light and there is a close up of her screaming and then there is a shot of the shadow in her room of the guy stabbing her with the knife.



I presented my idea to my group mates as well as another person in our class. They all said it was garbage. I never felt so rejected in my life. Saddened and offended by this rejection, they explained that is was similar to the opening of the movie  SCREAM, which I completely understand because my idea is similar in a way that the main subject in the opening is a teenage girl who is home alone and takes a phone call, though in the movie SCREAM, the girl is on the phone with the killer and not her boyfriend. Even though my idea was not accepted, I know my group and I will come up with an even better idea to produce.








Citations :
"Movie Genres Chart." Movie Genres Chart. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Mar. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment